Monday, April 14, 2014

Still lots of ice, plus a helicopter and a little deer

Today was slightly discouraging weather-wise because temps are back down into chilly-range and there are promises of more snow on Wednesday.  But on my side trip down to the Lake (on my way to The Store) there were some photo-op sites not seen since last November(?).  And here they are:

That snowbank next to my red car was still at least 5 feet high up to a week ago and even higher before it started melting.  You had to be sitting up high in a high vehicle to see over the banks to the Lake!  Now the way is clear so I could get all the way over to the pier. (below)

I don't know how long this pier is and I won't guess because I don't estimate distance well, but it goes out past the beach quite a ways.  I don't think I've ever seen ice like this up here.  There is banked up ice from the beach out to the end of the pier and then the big ice sheet starts and goes out into the middle of the lake from there.  I didn't see any open water today.

Anyone want to go to the beach?  And, Leann, where are you?  There's driftwood EVERYWHERE!

Do you see that black dot in the middle of the sky?  Yes, it's a helicopter.  They started up again today and one flew over me while I was standing on the pier, so of course I had to take a picture...actually several pictures.  So if I mysteriously disappear sometime, it was the Black Ops guys from the helicopter.  And that's the word at The Store, that they are military-related.

Another shot of the beach looking to the east...doesn't look so pretty with all the sandy ice, but the snow is gone and I love that beautiful blue sky.

And there are three people somewhere with one cold foot...

Back at home this little guy/girl (we think last year's fawn) was checking things out right up by our deck.  And some other ones were munching on the bulb tips in the front flower beds, so that's not as cute.  Next year, all daffodils!  We hear that deer don't like daffodils...but don't tell the deer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get me some driftwood!

mm said...

Hey! M. Fawn,
Don't eat the tulips. Don't eat spring.