Sunday, April 13, 2014

Went for a walk and found spring!

When I told Leann I didn't know what I was going to blog about today, she said to follow her.  So we put on our big boots, got our walking sticks and set out.  And there was spring...just breaking through!

There are some things that look almost primordial when they ooze out of the ground, and rhubarb is one of those things.  Rhubarb is a weird fruit(?), or plant, not a vegetable.  What is it?  People are either really for or really against rhubarb.  Maybe some people just had too much of it as a kid because it was so available and so cheap to use.  It takes a lot of sugar to make it something...edible, but I'm sure we'll make some rhubarb desserts of some kind this spring.  I think we even served rhubarb sauce for a couple of our B&B breakfasts last year.

Something else we have several different places around here are chives (below).  I think it might have been my Uncle Carl who planted chives everywhere.  It's always fun to mow around where the chives are because it smells so good.  And we can run out, snip some chives for salads, baked potatoes, soups - fun to have around!

At the far east end of our orchard, sometime in late May/early June, you can see a whole huge carpet of narcissus (narcissi?), white with yellow bells.  So pretty!  I think my father planted a bunch of bulbs when they first retired here in 1980, and they have just spread widely/wildly since.  So below are the first narcissus(es) coming through.

And finally, below are some crocuses coming up.  I know, this is really late for crocuses just poking through, but they have just recently been under three (or more) feet of snow.  So we're feeling really good about this!  We'll be over the moon when flowers finally appear!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a side note, something I would have blogged about had I any information, are the multiple times a big military-looking helicopter was flying over our town today.  But even after checking down at The Store through which all news passes, I don't know why they were there.  They flew up from the southwest heading northeast and after about 5-10 minutes, flew back again.  And they did that about four times.  Strange...I'll let you know.


1 comment:

John Robert McFarland said...

When Katie was a prof at Auburn U, she decided she wanted to bake a rhubarb pie. She went to the grocery. "Oh, you'll have to go to the exotic food store over in Montgomery to get something like that," she was told. Lots of snow and 30 mph winds UP here this morning, covering up all our sping.