Monday, April 21, 2014

Mary's Motley Minutiae #3 - April 21, 2014

It's a beautiful Monday and I'm making it a catch-up day, not catsup or ketchup, but catch-up where I'm updating you on past topics.  And, I've actually had people ask about my yardstick out in the snow, so I'll start with that:


It's so shadowed here, but earlier this afternoon, it was at about 5 inches where the stick goes into the snow.  By the time I looked a while later, it was down to 4 inches.  I'll bet if I looked out now, it will have fallen over.  THEN I'll stick it into the bigger drift behind it which is still about two feet deep.

And our plants are growing...well, some are growing.  The coleus and the scarlet sage are going great and now I'll have to thin them out.  My level of faith when planting seeds isn't always "mustard seed" size, so I often have too many growing at a time or they don't grow at all, which is the case for our rosemary and basil.  Nothing yet for them!

And now that the snow has melted from our driveway and road, I'm back to walking and listening to Swedish lessons on my phone.  I had taken a little break so I thought I may have lost some Swedish momentum, but their method seems to work and it was pretty easy to get on my way again.  

There was lots of water running along the road and under the road through culverts, so the temps in the 60's was taking care of the snow.  Here's one of our neighbor's horse fields with a river running through it.  No horses yet but maybe when the fields dry up a little.

I just heard on the 5:00pm news where they were talking about the Wisconsin Fishing Opener which is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 3rd.  (They always start a week earlier than Minnesota.) They are fearing a rerun of last May when Wisconsin couldn't have their fishing opener up here in northern Wisconsin because the lakes were still iced over.  In fact, down in Cable where the big Governor's Opener was supposed to be, they groomed cross-country ski trails instead.  And the governor couldn't fly in because of the snow and fog.  So I checked the ice cave camera, and even though we have open water here in Port Wing, there's still ice 20 miles east by the caves.

That's it for today!


No comments: