Tuesday, April 1, 2014

If this is April Fool's, we're not laughing!

Today around noon I looked out toward the road and saw our mail carrier's car sitting there on the right side of the road.  I decided to walk out to get the mail, and for some reason, I put my phone in my pocket.  I say "for some reason" because it's just been in the last year or so that my AT&T phone worked reliably up here in the woods.  Recent additions of more cell towers have helped that situation.

So, I walked out and as I got closer I saw, and heard, that she was stuck on that side of the road and trying to spin herself out.  I don't know how it all works, but we are the last mailbox on her route on our road, so she puts our mail in the mailbox and then makes a big u-turn and heads back toward town.  It looks like this:


But she had made her loop/turn a little too big today, and ended up dug into the ditch like this:

(But did I think to take any pictures then?  Of course not!)

She had already called someone from her main post office in Iron River and he was on his way, but that is 15 miles away.  And her phone battery was dying.  So I tried to think of someone I knew with a truck and whose phone number I knew.  And the winner turned out to be one of the good guys who built our house.  It was noon, and I knew the number where I thought he'd be eating lunch.  Score!

He came up, hooked a strap from her car to his truck, and after a couple tries, pulled her right out.

And as we were waiting for him, she mentioned that today was the first day that she was feeling a little crabby about the weather, and then this happened.  Our April Fool's added snow probably didn't help when she got a little too close to the edge of the road.  She wasn't feeling crabby after he got her out though.

And it's a one-step forward, two steps back kind of a day with our snow situation. We didn't get the predicted 6 inches, so I guess we're ahead of the game as it could have been!

Back up an inch and a half...

Update: Another car went into the ditch on the left side of the road late this afternoon, a combination of slippery road, sharp turn, and maybe too fast?  Strange it hasn't happened all winter and then two in one day!


No comments: