Monday, March 24, 2014

"Whatever gets you through the n---", I mean, winter!

I can't help but get John Lennon singing in my head when I think about today's blog post, just changing one word from his version.

Whatever gets us through the winter comes under the heading of "Winter Therapy."  Something caused me to think today about winter therapy - things we do in winter to get through until REAL spring arrives here in the North.  One friend in an email today said writing is his path to sanity.  That and setting a date on the calendar for putting the heavy winter clothes away.   This is important, because if you didn't put them away, you could easily creep back into them on a cool-ish day in June or July.  I have never considered myself to be a writer, but I actually think writing this blog has occupied my brain a good part of this winter, so I will agree with writing as a prescription.  (What will happen when summer comes?)

And I realized today when the UPS truck came that I know a few people, me included, who kind of enjoy those periodic visits from the UPS guy.  You see, in order for the UPS truck to come, there has to have been some retail therapy carried out on a site such as the Amazon.com website or something similar.  And we can justify this because the nearest city for shopping is 50 miles in any direction, so we're just saving time and gas, right?  Just hop on Amazon and that object of our desire can be here in two days!  So far they haven't delivered anything to us via drone, but we're happy with UPS...or FedEx...or the US Post Office!

And a huge form of winter therapy is practiced by Leann in her Craft Room - Quilting!  I've posted about her conversation quilts before, but she has done so many more since then.  For a while she was doing some using a paper piecing method.  Here are some of her birds:


And lately she's just been using up scraps from her "stash" on some nature-themed lap quilts.  Below we have fishing, another bird quilt, and a wildlife/hunting theme.  Lap quilts, anyone?




But I suppose my biggest form of any-time-of-year therapy is time spent doing things on the computer--finding new cool apps, learning new programs, working on websites, organizing my life to perfection (NOT!), and just trying things out.   I could spend hours!

So as the days march on toward spring,  I'll just take John Lennon's affirmation that whatever we're doing to keep sane, "It's alright, alright."



1 comment:

Determined! said...

I love reading your blog! It is interesting. You are a super writer. Love love love the bird quilts.