Sunday, March 16, 2014

En smörgås och en kopp kaffe, tack.

Today was Lesson 10 of my Swedish language journey, the last of my current set of lessons, so now I have to wait a couple days for them to send the next thirty.  

In today's lesson they added some foods, drinks, and more numbers, but not "7" yet because the initial sound for "7," spelled sju, is a difficult sound to make - it's kind of a whistling "u" sound.  "Sju" is also the start of the word "sick - sjuk," and hospital "sjukhus" (sick house), and so if you had a sentence talking about seventy-seven hospitals, a Swedish learner would have to put some thought into it!

Another word in today's lesson was "Ja visst!" or "Certainly!" And that gave me a chuckle because that was something I heard my parents and other older relatives say often.  My maternal grandmother, Hilda Swanson, also said "Uff da" on a regular basis, WAY back a long time ago before Scandinavian gift shops ever started selling plaques with "Uff da!" painted on them.  But I don't know where that expression came from - don't even know if it's really Swedish!

So today's blog post title translated means a sandwich and a cup of coffee, please/thank you.  And maybe not a sandwich as we in USA know sandwiches, more like an open-face sandwich.  Smör is butter, so bread with butter and something more added - cheese, meat, slices of some vegetable - peppers, cucumbers, etc.

And related to smörgås is smorgasbord, the one Swedish word everyone knows, but in Sweden smorgasbord is maybe more like a table of hors d'oeuvres than the huge spread of food we can sometimes experience.

But my biggest find today came when I started searching for computer or iPad apps that I could use to fill in until my next lessons arrive, and I found this:
It's a keyboard app for my iPad and it has the extra Swedish vowels on the top row.  I can type those vowels on my regular computer using various key combinations, but it was proving to be more difficult on the iPad...until now!

And below are four deer from our feeder tonight.  Notice number five is coming down the hill behind on the left.  We went out on our drive to see deer tonight, but we had more in our yard than anywhere else.  We did see a skunk though, which we hurried by when he lifted his tail!

                            

2 comments:

Mary M. said...

Are you using StudyBlue to study Swedish?

Mary Childs said...

Mary - I might so I can get some of the phrases from the lessons. I found some other good apps today, too. Is study blue easy to use? Pretty sure I downloaded it back when you first got it, but it's not on my ipad now. Probably just need to download again.