Monday, May 26, 2014

Toto, we MUST be in Kansas NOW!

Toto, we must be in Kansas, or anywhere it gets hot, because it certainly didn't feel like Memorial Day in northern Wisconsin today!

Memorial Day here is usually chilly, often rainy, and not the best weather as a summer holidays go.  And I know that sometime last February I may have said I would never complain about warm weather again.  It would just be nice to have one week, tops, between shutting down our heating system and thinking we needed to have the AC on.  And since it WAS just a couple days ago that I finally shut down our geothermal heat, I refused to turn on the air today...even though at last check this afternoon it showed 84˚ IN our house.  Complain, complain, I know.  Never satisfied.

But it was Memorial Day so we went to the cemetery to take care of the geraniums on my parents' and grandparents' graves.  I think I'm one of the last people who use real flowers rather than plastic in the hanging baskets.  But the deer don't seem to bother them, and all it takes is a jug of water once a week to keep them looking nice.

All of the graves of veterans have the medallion next to the marker showing in which war the person served.  And for Memorial Day they add a flag to the medallion.  Then at 11am the American Legion squad, along with the high school band, comes for a short ceremony.  We didn't make it there today, but the picture below is from last year...it never changes very much from year to year.   


This group--American Legion and band--does the same ceremony in three other cemeteries in the course of the morning--Cornucopia, Herbster and Orienta.  Part of the ceremony is to read the names of those buried in that cemetery who served in any of our country's wars since the town was formed.  I heard today that there is only one person still living here in town who served in World War II.


So, we officially feel like it's summer!  Happy Memorial Day!

2 comments:

mm said...

Even if the deer ate them, I think real would be better than plastic.

Anonymous said...

I stayed at your BB last summer. It was very good. I had the best breakfast in at least a decade. Keep up the good work.