Monday, May 5, 2014

Time out for Porch Antics

It's finally getting to be the season longed for here in the north - Porch Season.  You may remember last week I posted that we had a new glider for our front porch, but it needed to be assembled.  At the time I was so "antsy" (my mother's word) to get started putting it together, but couldn't because of the weather. So I did what I could at the time...I organized the hardware inside the house on our entryway stairs:

Then the day arrived yesterday when I could tackle the whole project.  Here are the pieces lined up ready to assemble:
The furniture is made by By the Yard, Inc., and all the pieces are made out of recycled milk cartons.  They are supposed to last forever and never need any kind of maintenance.  What I learned right away is that it's very difficult to screw 3 1/2" screws & bolts into this hard plastic material.  Luckily I realized early on that Leann might have a ratchet tool and I probably saved my wrists from a lot of hurt!  When we lived in Minneapolis, we bought two similar chairs but those were delivered already assembled.  Living up here far from Minneapolis, "some assembly required."
We had to use the old bench we found in the basement of the old house.  It's kind of cool-crude, which is one step below shabby-chic.  I guess I think it's cool because it has my Dad's and my uncle's initials carved in it from probably back in the '20's.  Anyway, it provided a good base for putting the pieces together.

And finally it was done and ready for sitting next to our gnome.

But then later last evening when we got back home, we saw that someone had been there "decorating" our gnome with a new nose and new shoes:
We know who you are and we know where you live, J & J!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scenes from today's walks - horses (and fainting goats) in the afternoon... 



and deer this evening.

Tomorrow - Building raised beds for gardens with visiting friends!






1 comment:

mm said...

Congrats on the new glider... can't wait to sit in it and watch those horses.