Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Birdbrains or Mary Moments

This year our yard is just teeming with birds, especially the last few days.  I'm not sure why it would be different this year than last, but perhaps the cooler temperatures are keeping them around here rather than going on north.  We have 4 pairs of rose-breasted grosbeaks, DOZENS of goldfinches, purple finches, 8-10 blue jays that maybe just hatched(?), the orioles, and all varieties of little brown birds.  All of those goldfinches streaking back and forth from the feeders to the trees is really something to see.  

And I could never accuse them of being "bird brains," because that's what I was--twice--last weekend.  But first I had to look up the origin of "bird brains,"
"A bird brain is an individual who seems to have difficulty focusing on the events that are occurring in the immediate area, or to participate in them in any logical manner. Sometimes used as a designation for someone who is esteemed to be somewhat stupid or ignorant, this idiom can also refer to someone who is known to exhibit a short attention span, especially as is relates to carrying on a conversation. A bird brain is often considered flighty and may even be thought of as slightly self-centered, owing to the sudden tangents that may take place during an attempt at conversations. 
The exact origin of the English saying is lost to history. While references in the literature and media during the 20th century made ample use of the phrase, there are those who trace the origins back several centuries. In general, the term is thought to be applicable whenever an individual exhibits some of the aspects associated with birds, such as quickly landing in an area, jumping about and then just as quickly taking off for another destination. The reference has to do with the small size of a bird’s brain, indicating that the human who is identified with this label is operating on little to no brain power." http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-bird-brain.htm 
My first lack-of-focus moment happened just after we got back in the car after stopping at the Belvidere Oasis on the Illinois Tollway.  "Where's my phone?"  It wasn't anywhere--not in pockets, purse, car console, nowhere.  I tried to remember what I was going to have to do to "Find my phone" and knew I'd have to get on my computer someplace that had Wifi to wipe it--erase all content.  Luckily it's easy to get off and back on the tollway there, so we got off and parked by a gas station.  I got out of the car, looked all over the front seat, and then under the seat--there it was!  After it was all over, I was compared to a rabid dog when things like that happen.  It could be an apt comparison.

The next "rabid" event happened up the road in Medford, Wisconsin after we grabbed a quick bite to eat at the McDonald's.  I went back out to the car, put my seatbelt on, waited for Leann...and I didn't have my purse!  And I knew I had it in there because I had paid our bill!

Now, this is an occurrence that happens way too often in my dreams, or should I say nightmares.  I think the nightmares all started back in 1997 when my purse was stolen from our car at a nature area in Richfield, MN.  Within an hour, whoever stole it had opened a charge account at a nearby store and charged $1500 worth of merchandise, wrote multiple checks from my checkbook, and then went on to do other identity-stealing activities that followed me for the next three years.  So, it definitely left its mark on me.  And it's happened so often in my dreams, that while dreaming it I actually question whether I'm awake or not, hoping I'm just dreaming.

Good thing I was in Medford, Wisconsin and not...other places.  I zoomed back into the restaurant, and my purse was still there on the bench where I left it.  Whew!

I have spent some time the last couple of days since it happened trying to find something to blame it on--low blood sugar, tired from traveling--anything besides having "difficulty focusing on the events that are occurring in the immediate area," or being bird-brained!  Unfortunately, from now on, happenings like this, no matter whom they happen to, will now be "Mary Moments."


2 comments:

mm said...

As you know, I've had similar moments with my phone and purse. Perhaps "Mary Moments" are fitting.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club. m.b.