Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's May fourth, so may the force be with you...på svenska!

Strangely enough, it's almost become an unofficial holiday, May 4th as Star Wars Day.  I don't even know how long it's been a "thing," but I think I finally made the connection between May 4th and "May the force" sometime in the last couple of years. And since I'm not a big Star Wars fan, I just noticed references to it on this date and then moved on.

Today, however, I got an email from one of the websites where I get my daily Swedish vocabulary resources and guess what the topic was today!  Yes, Star Wars in Swedish!  And as I learned today, Star Wars is Stjärnornas Krig.
http://www.minhembio.com/bilder/bild/?pic_id=286387.jpg
And here are some other phrases that might sound familiar:

  • Jag är din far. (Hint: Far is father.)
  • Jediriddare - Jedi Knight
  • Använd kraften! - Use the ______! (Points for filling in the blank.)
I'm still working with my Swedish lessons.  The people speaking on my recordings speak at a very natural pace (or so they say), but even with with all the words blending together into sentences, I'm beginning to understand them pretty well.  The challenge then is to reply in the same understandable way rather than saying each separate word as I think them through.  It's coming though and it's still fun.  Every once in a while there will be a phrase that I've heard before either from my parents or the times I was visiting in Sweden.  The phrase like that in today's lesson was "en gång till," which means again or one more time.  Very fun!

I have so many things I could post about tonight, but I think I'll close with a beautiful sunset picture from our ride down to the Lake tonight.
Our friend, Judy, is visiting us and when we were down at the lake we met our friends from town.  So we all enjoyed this sunset together.  That line of stuff running across the middle of the picture is still ice.  The fishing boats going out have to make their way through all of that to get out to the middle of the lake.  Maybe a few more days like this will make it go away.

One more thing - last night Astro Bob from Duluth, MN, said that the Northern Lights or aurora borealis would make an appearance.  I went out several times last night, even up until 2:30am, and only saw a bright glow to the norh.  No streaks up into the sky.  He had some great pictures on his website though.  Maybe tonight!


1 comment:

LH said...

Wow. Great work on the language study and the gorgeous photography. I hope you (and we) get some pix of the Northern Lights!