Sunday, May 18, 2014

Ten and a half hours and worlds apart

After one last breakfast together this morning at the Pancake House, we left South Bend and headed west --to the airport in Chicago for some and a 10 1/2 hour car trip north for us. In my role as navigator and tech engineer (iPhone maps and things), I looked down for all of two seconds and missed the sign for the detour from the Indiana Turnpike over to I-294 which would take us AROUND Chicago.  So we soon realized that we were going THROUGH downtown Chicago.  But since it was Sunday, that wasn't so bad.  Luckily no White Sox game today!

This time we bought an I-Pass so we could zoom right through all of the toll booths in Illinois and Indiana without having to pay the toll operator or stuff money in the machine.  Somehow the toll charges have grown over the years.  I think I remember 25 or 50 cents back in the day.  This time our first toll (before we got the I-Pass) was $2.80!  Gotta love Illinois!

And now all those hours later we are home again and we're back in the land of bears...

...and ice. (Still, but at least it's warmer than when we left.)


Always good to be home!




1 comment:

mm said...

The bottom picture is amazing!