Thursday, June 26, 2014

June Port Wing Community Band Concert - chilly to watch but warmly received


Tonight we put on the first of our Port Wing Community Band summer band concerts & ice cream socials.  When Tom--one of the charter members & tuba player--gave the introduction tonight, I learned that this group first got together to play for a school talent show.  That was ten or more (I think) years ago, and they've been going ever since.  I started playing my French Horn with the band about four years ago.  It's definitely more fun now that we are living here and don't have to wonder if we'll be here for the August concert or not!

I'm not sure how many players participated those first few years, but usually there is at least one person for each instrument...so that wasn't a very big band back then.  Someone counted chairs tonight and we are up to 21 with the director, Jody (who is also the school band director...we are so lucky to have her!)  We are also fortunate to have five students playing with us, and most have been there every year for the last four or more years.  UNfortunately, four of those students will be going off to college in the fall.  In honor of them, we played Pomp and Circumstance as one of our pieces tonight. They don't seem to mind playing with the old(er) folks and they add so much to the group.  We are excited to have several new people this year--another French horn player (yay!), another trumpet player (and Port Wing student), and you might be able to see the oboe (that looks like a violin) in the front row.  And we can already hear what having the oboe part adds to the sound of the group!

But it was chilly tonight--49˚!  They set up the chairs so most of us could be in the sun when the concert started at 7, but by the time it was over, everyone was feeling the chill!  Especially after the ice cream sundaes!  It brought me back to marching band season in the fall in high school and those cold early morning practices out on the football field.

We ended the concert with our traditional last song.  Yes, you guessed it--Stars and Stripes Forever with Beth playing the piccolo part.  Love it!





3 comments:

LH said...

I love french horn.

Your orchestra sounds like a lot of fun and creativity.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mary...so glad you are playing your horn again. I just had my flute refurbished and my grand niece is playing it. MB on IL

Mary Childs said...

LH - and I posted on Creativity Thursday!

MB - sometimes I think I should pass my horn on but I can't give it up just yet!