Friday, June 27, 2014

Fields & ditches are full of colors!

Our field in front of our house is full of colors!

These flowers probably have other names, but for me the white ones are daisies, the yellow are buttercups, and the red ones are hawkweed.  


When I exclaimed about all these buttercups today, I was reminded that probably all of these flowers are weeds of some kind.  But I like them.  The daisies remind me of a June weekend back when I was much younger--junior high maybe--and my cousin, Charlotte, and I were combing the ditches and fields here in the area, picking daisies for my Uncle Oscar & Aunt Alice's big anniversary party in the church basement--their 50th or 60th, can't remember which.  We had lots of daisies for lots of table bouquets!


In late May this field is usually full of another noxious weed, but, yes, I love seeing all the dandelions, too...at least when they are in their yellow phase.  And now we get to have horses in the background!  Below is the new little colt that was born back in April.  So cute!


We finally got some rain tonight after about a week with nothing.  Summer is still avoiding us!

3 comments:

LH said...

These pictures are delightful.

Anonymous said...

Any plant out of place is a "weed" Mary. Corn in a soybean field is a weed. These pastoral beauties are right where they should be-making us stop and breathe in a moment of quiet loveliness...not "weeds" at all. mb

Mary Childs said...

Thanks LH & MB! I forgot to include the clover flowers in my story. They make it smell so nice!