Monday, September 8, 2014

Photo shoot at Quarry Beach

We say many times during the summers we've lived here that we need to get down to the Lake and enjoy the beach more.   But then work and other distractions get in the way.  Today we remedied that by going to the beach, but we had another motivation...taking pictures of our neighbor, Dave, on his stand up paddleboard.

Dave moved here a few years ago and in his semi-retirement he has discovered the benefits of paddleboarding.  I don't think I have permission to "tell all" here, but I think he would say that this activity has given him a new lease on life, as well as better balance and a way to "sail" his way into some of the nooks and crannies of most of the waterways around here.  In the shot below, Dave is heading around the point to see what the wind conditions are over there.  He didn't come back while we were there, so it must have been okay.

I talked Dave into doing this photo shoot so I'd have some possible shots for later when we update the Port Wing brochure for next summer.  This year's current brochure also has a picture of Quarry Beach but shows friends of ours who visited a couple years ago.  When we got down here today, at first it was just Dave and us.  Then right away two other couples, each with a dog, appeared and so my shot below has one of the visitors out on the rock.  Dave wasn't standing up yet, so having "extras" in my shot was fine.  These visitors were from Owen-Withee, down in central Wisconsin, and were up here enjoying the sites.

I'm Facebook friends with Dave, so I've been able to enjoy the pictures he takes when he is out on his voyages.  From a blogger's point-of-view (mine), I think he should start a blog himself so more people can see his pictures and read his posts.  He could even cash in on his blogging by targeting the paddleboarding crowd!  I'll let you know if he does!

Today he posted about a Lake Superior tidal wave.  Really!  This phenomenon that occurs on the Great Lakes is called a seiche and is caused by dramatic weather changes from storms.  We noticed last week that the water was much higher by the marina, and I guess this was the reason.
 Thanks, Dave!  You make it look really easy, but I think I'd spend more time IN the lake than ON the board!

On the way home we stopped on the bridge on Quarry Road.  This is looking north where the Lake is just around that last bend.

And this looks south and it leads to a larger area called Bibon Lake.  Everything looked so nice on this beautiful day!

AND, in other news...we found out that they might start moving our old house this week.  We thought it was going to be in October, but schedules have changed.  Get the cameras ready!


No comments: