Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Is September supposed to be stormy?

Big storms passed through Minnesota today, and moved on to northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan tonight.  And maybe it's thanks to the Lake, but it pretty much bypassed us.  There's a large farm and orchard west of Minneapolis in the town of Waverly that was pelted with large hail.  That farm supplies the Twin Cities farmer's markets and lots of produce stands with apples and vegetables, but not after today's storm.  All of their apples look like this:

As we watch over our surprisingly decent apple crop this year, stories like this are so sad...and we aren't depending on our apples as income!  One radio interview we heard late this afternoon mentioned that they were going to start picking apples tomorrow.  Wow!

So our apples still look like this:
They are NOT ripe yet.  They are still at the point where you take a bite and it kind of sucks your cheeks in!  But we need that hail and those high winds to stay away.  And as of this moment, the moon is shining in the window, so maybe this batch of storms will leave us alone.

As promised, I made the basil pesto tonight.  That basil really has a strong odor!  Back in the day with I had bad headaches WAY too often, I was invited to a gathering of people from my school where they were going to make large batches of pesto.  I had all kinds of flashbacks tonight of that event and how I was trying to hang in there with that headache while trying not to let the smell of the basil get to me.  This was a smaller batch and I've "outgrown" the headaches, so all was well.  Now what should I try it with?

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for an appointment with some ear clinic in Duluth to check my hearing for the Veteran's Administration!  This is the "follow-up" to my meeting with the VA rep back on April 7th to find out about possible compensation for my near total lack of hearing in one ear and very limited in the other.   Whether my hearing problems began back with my years of listening through static and bad Russian back in those Army days is still to be determined.  I guess we'll just find out how bad it really is tomorrow.

Huh?



1 comment:

mm said...

The guy I buy apples from at the farmers' market said although others were selling their Zestar and Honey Crisp apples, he was not because they were not ready. I hope his apples survived.