Saturday, September 13, 2014

A frosty weather reprieve & time at the Lake

BTW...the big storm predicted for Tuesday evening turned out to be pretty tame--a little wind, a little rain, but nothing dangerous.  Then the big threat last night was a possible freeze overnight.  This is when people usually get out the sheets and/or blankets to cover up the more tender garden produce.  So, since it was only September 12th and we'd like to get a couple more tomatoes from our gardens, we got out our own covering cloths. (But we're tired of beans so we didn't cover them.)

But first we picked anything that was close to being ripe!

And I'm happy to report that this morning there was no sign of frost.  In fact, I don't think the temp went below 40˚, mostly because it stayed pretty cloudy all night.  And THAT was why we couldn't see any of the predicted Northern Lights last night.  I think it's still possible for tonight.  Below are our late-summer flower boxes.  They stayed nice and perky all summer.  Back in the distance is another tomato bed covered by a sheet.

It's kind of quiet tonight here.  Leann left to go be with her sister for the start of her 5 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy at Mayo in Rochester.  The eight chemo treatments did their job of shrinking the tumor down to a size for possible surgery, but she needs to do radiation to zap it some more.  We're thinking positive thoughts and thankful for all she has gained from her experiences at Mayo.  

Late this afternoon I went down to the Lake to read for a while.  It was a little too breezy to get too comfortable for long.  A couple people were fishing on the end of the pier, and the water is still reddish from all the wave action Tuesday and Wednesday.

I chuckled when I saw all this driftwood mess.  We're always telling our B&B guests about our "beautiful" sand beaches.  This one didn't look very beautiful today!

I thought this was pretty though.

As I was walking back to my car I saw these mushrooms.  They start out as these little balls oozing out of the ground and then blow up to look like the one on the right.  I don't have anything to show size comparisons but it was about 6-7 inches high.

And then I checked an area in our yard that usually has mushrooms this time of year and I found this colorful specimen. (Is that how you spell specimen?  Looks weird!)
No frost tonight and it should warm up for the next few days.

3 comments:

mm said...

I love that you didn't cover the beans. My prayers are with Leann and her sister (and you of course).

Leann said...

Can you choose any driftwood for me? Maybe fill Cami? Just kidding!

Robin said...

Because of your picture of all the wood down at the pier, we knew where to look for the stairs that were taken from the end of our path to the lake. There they were!