Saturday, August 2, 2014

Plein Air 2014 - All wrapped up!

It's been happening too much lately.  Evening comes and I'm so tired from the day's activities that I don't sit down to post.  But I wanted to get the Plein Air activities posted since it occupied a large part of our day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It happened to me last year, too.  I hang around these artistic people for a couple days and I almost consider picking up a brush to paint something...besides a house or a wall or something like that.  The closest I've come lately to using that well-hidden part of my brain was when I was playing the iPhone app, Draw Something, with some of my friends.  I'd like to take the easy way out and blame the art teacher I had back in grades 5-7.  How can you get a C in 5th grade art???  And then I never had any more art instruction in my life!  But these people inspire me, at least for these few days every year.

So, as I posted yesterday, the Quick Paint part of the weekend occurred this morning.  The artists choose their spot in a certain area down by the Lake, they get the official stamp on the back of their canvas, and the painting begins at 10am.  Time's up at 11:30, then time to prepare paintings for judging.

Here are some pictures from the Quick Paint this morning:

This artist is painting the artist in front of him.  I guess that's a different take on plein air painting.

This is Diane and she was one of our B&B guests.  She enjoys painting flowers and found these beautiful wild roses growing along the banks of sand.

This is another of our guests, Lee, painting his wife, Rose, out on the dock with the fishing boat behind.  And she's the lucky one.  She was able to read all during the time he was painting!  And below is from another angle.

This is our friend, Dee, painting down near the boat landing.  And look at that boat!  The boat owner was supposed to meet a friend there but the friend went to the wrong town/marina.  And lousy phone reception made this mix-up even more troublesome for them.  That whole area forward of the windshield is living space for those on board.  I'm sure it goes pretty speedy-fast, too!

Have you seen these Little Free Libraries?  Leann has been planning for at least a year to get one set up out by our road, but this person down by the lake beat her to it.  This one has quite a selection--everything from Madeline L'Engle to Ayn Rand!

This was another of our guests, Robert, and his painting won one of the honorable mentions of the day.

The judging took place starting at 2pm and at 3 the Town Hall opened for the public showing.



Below are some of the Quick Paint entries:

Here's the first prize winner.  I had a picture of him painting that in yesterday's post.

Below is second place, one of the few area barns remaining, and even a mixed media entry done by Denise, another of our friends.
I don't know if I will be picking up a paintbrush anytime soon, but being with these people is inspiring all the same!  But if you would like to come and participate, Port Wing Plein Air will take place next year, July 30-August 1st!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And because we didn't have enough to do today, we also picked some of our produce and Leann took it to today's Saturday Market.  Two kinds of onions, beets, yellow squash, and several kinds of herbs...and some of my dishcloths, too!  Coming up now are green beans, peas, cucumbers and, eventually, tomatoes.  This next month should be lots of fun!

1 comment:

LH said...

What a cool event. I love these photos.