Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A short visit to the Bayfield County Fair

We didn't have enough to do last weekend, so we zipped on over to Iron River to see what the Bayfield County Fair was all about.  Several of our friends had entered artwork, or produce or other items to be judged, but this time we just wanted to see what it was all about.

The last time I went to this fair was the summer of 1983.  Older Daughter was 2 at the time, and we all went with Grandpa and Grandma Larson to the fair.  Of course, there was a merry-go-round, and I thought Sara needed a ride on the merry-go-round.  We got the ticket, I lifted her onto the horse and was going to hold her on the horse during the ride.  Then the merry-go-round started.  I had FORGOTTEN that the horse--and the rider/Sara--would be going up and down, up and down, all during the ride.  Well, the ups were very up, and I'm not very tall, and I had all I could do to hang on to Sara for the duration of this ride.  I was never so glad to have a carnival ride stop!

Fast forward 31 years, and I'm back at the county fair.  Here are some pictures:

Cute little calf .

Giant beef cattle chillin' - I think that fuzzy tannish one is a Gallaway.

Of course, this was my favorite building - the chickens and roosters.  I don't think there were any two alike.  And all presenting with attitude!



Also in the poultry building were the rabbits. Rabbits are always a part of county (and state) fair exhibits, but I really don't know what purpose rabbits serve on a farm besides being cute.  Am I missing something here?  MB from IL - what do you know on this topic?

And then there's the midway, but we didn't spend much time there.  We found out later that the $12 fee to getting into the fair paid for unlimited times on all the rides.  And really...not many rides!

So, we went, we now know what it's all about, not sure if we'll go back.  But maybe we'll decide to join with our friends and enter our produce into the various categories judged at the fair.  I think the peapods that we picked today might earn us a Blue Ribbon!

3 comments:

mm said...

Those pea pods look amazing! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Aaron raised bunnies one year. Alas, they are considered a meat product (and they provide a pelt for tanning)...remember Haasenpfeffer from your Germany days? We only had them one for one 4-H season. Remind me to tell you the "rest of the story" in person.
And, yes, those are indeed prize-winning pods! mb of il

Mary Childs said...

Thanks, MB. I was afraid it might come down to pelts but I didn't consider the meat issue. And I'm looking forward to the rest of the story! Are you coming soon?