Friday, February 21, 2014

Trying not to be obvious

The obvious topic for today would be snow.  We got at least another foot last night but it's blowing around so much, you really can't tell how much new snow there is.  And, really, at this point who cares?  And the winds are howling and just WHIPPING the snow around.  I'm not even going to go out and check the mail today, because (1) he probably didn't get here because the roads are so bad, and (2) I may not get back here to the house.  Remember the scene in Laura Ingalls Wilder The Long Winter when they tied a rope from the house to the barn?  It's THAT kind of weather outside.

So, on to warmer thoughts...of Greece.  The main motivator that got me thinking about doing a blog myself was reconnecting with my (second) cousin, Ingabritt, from Sweden.  I spent time with her two different times when I was visiting Sweden in 1978 and 1979.  Here we are sitting on a Dala Horse in a park called Skansen in Stockholm.

Now she has lived in Greece with her family for the last 20 years.  She went to school to be a journalist and is now using that and other experiences to write a travel blog about Greece but written for people back in Sweden.  I think Greece is a popular warm-weather vacation spot for people in Sweden.  Also, her blog is right now in third place out of ten in a travel blog competition.  (It's called Aktuellt i Grekland if you want to vote.)  And, I found out that using Chrome as a browser, it does a pretty good job of translating it for me, or enough so I know that today's topic is what's happening in her town as people are celebrating the days leading up to Karneval or what is Mardi Gras for us. So her blog inspired me, however, she has been doing this for seven years.  And I am only on post #2!

Last thing, we are expecting B&B guests tonight coming up from the south.  They already know the ice caves have been closed until tomorrow morning when rangers will check to see how the ice is under all this snow.  And they know that the roads are bad up here, so think good thoughts for all travelers out today!

Adjö!

P.S.  They all arrived safe and sound!






No comments: