Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Lutheran Conversion

Yes, it's true.  I became a Lutheran last week.

Throughout my life, I really thought I was going to be "a Methodist till I die."  (You should know that there's a song by that title.)  Truthfully, the thing I always enjoyed most about being a Methodist was singing hymns, and singing harmony with the alto and tenor parts--the bass was usually too low. Someone near and dear to me, I won't mention any names, has always said that she learned to read music and do part-singing from all those childhood years standing next to me singing hymns in church.  And I always appreciated John Wesley and the positions he took on social issues of his day, and his conversion story of feeling "his heart strangely warmed."  And have you read his "Directions for Singing?" It's always one of the first pages in the Methodist Hymnals.

But now living here, the nearest (United) Methodist Church is 50 miles away in either direction.  And we have this beautiful First Lutheran Church right here in town with the nicest, most hard-working people around, and a great pastor, Pastor Nancy Hansen.  And they all won my heart.
First Lutheran Church - Port Wing, Wisconsin
And there is another reason I am drawn to this church and that also comes from the family history I've been translating.  Here are some passages that relate directly to this church:

"Since it was mostly Swedes who lived in Port Wing, it was not long before they began to discuss forming a Swedish church. That happened in 1895.


Even before this, however, there were occasional visits by traveling preachers, the first in 1893. A vivid portrayal of his first visit in 1893 is given by Pastor J. D. Nelsenius much later, in 1920, in conjunction with the congregation's 25th anniversary.


"I had taken the train to Iron River, from where I got on a horse. There was no road between Iron River and Port Wing. When it came to the big 'impenetrable' forest, it was not a game to penetrate.  We overturned twice. To our happiness were horse’s engines so used to it that they took things calmly. My sleeve cuffs were torn and I lost a few precious cufflinks that I had received from my wife.

As the sun was going down we saw Lake Superior and 'the big city' of Port Wing, which consisted of three or four small houses. Just when we arrived it began to thunder and rain frightfully. Thunder struck by a tree, but luckily no one got hurt.

The people gathered at T.N. Okerström’s and listened intently to the text from Philippians 2:12 urging us to arm ourselves with our personal salvation.

The next day at 10 am a worship service was held in the house of the Fredrik Larsson family located a little way into the woods. Text was John 10: 11-16: the good shepherd and his sheep. All of the Lutheran faith were present.   At this time were baptized two of the first children in this community. They were Carl Edwin, son of Mr and Mrs Fredrik Larsson and Edward Reuben, son of Mr and Mrs Carl Johan Larsson."

There were thus two cousins ​​whose fathers had come from Lungsund in Sweden who were the first to be baptized.

Nelsenius says that he then visited Port Wing as often as possible. He did itinerant preaching in the area lumber camps.

The congregation was founded in August 9, 1895, and among the 15 adults and 11 children who then enrolled were Frederick and Carl Johan Larsson with their families. Frederick was one of those who was appointed a trustee. He was a long-time participant in the leadership of the parish, especially during times when they had no pastor. As early as 1896 he was elected as chairman and was also a Sunday School teacher. He was a deacon for many years.

As early as 1896 it was decided to build a church. Fredrik Larsson was included in the building committee.
"
And since my grandfather was Fredrik Larsson, joining this church was just logical.  And now I'm learning about Martin Luther!












3 comments:

mm said...

I'm glad you found a place.

John Robert McFarland said...

Of course now you are required to listen to Prairie Home Companion and eat ludefisk hot dish.

Mary Childs said...

Fortunately or unfortunately, I already do/have done both of those things, although the fish was never in casserole form. I can't even think about that!