Sunday, April 24, 2016

Posting #200 or Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Wow, I didn't know it was blog post #200, but how would I know since I've only looked at my blog admin page 4 or 5 times in the last year!  It's not that I haven't thought about it; I just didn't think I had anything to say.  So, coulda, woulda, shoulda!

But now spring is springing so that can only be good news.  And do you know about barn quilts?  Well, our resident quilter Leann heard about barn quilts and decided we needed one.  A barn quilt is a quilt square painted onto a square piece of lumber and attached to a barn.  Oh wait...we don't have a barn anymore.  So we put it--actually WE didn't put it - a friend helped us put it--on the side of our maple sugar shed.  Fun!




And after a relatively mild winter, some of our flowers are popping up, if the deer don't get to them first.  We planted a bunch of daffodils last fall with the understanding that deer don't like them like they do tulips.  Wrong!  The deer don't seem to have the same understanding.  So we have some crocuses and some still-undisturbed daffodils.  Hang in there little pretties!

And the rhubarb and garlic are coming up again.  Last year we could have sold all kinds of rhubarb at our Saturday Market so Leann is already planning on adding more plants to our rhubarb patch.  For you who aren't fans of rhubarb, it may be surprising that it was a big seller!


And our garlic is coming up!  This is already a 100% improvement from last year when we had a harvest of about 10%.  We moved them to a different garden bed so we'll see what this year brings.

So spring is here, and it's great, but I still have winter projects to finish!  And I have Garrison Keillor in my head saying that with the mild winter, we haven't suffered enough yet.  Must be the Lutheran in me



5 comments:

mm said...

Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to try the Rhubarb Dream Bar recipe I sent you, Mary. It's a crowd pleaser. Quilt square is lovely. It shouts "happy"!
Happy Spring to you and Leann. m von il

Christine said...

Hello, I just happened upon your blog this morning. I would like to share a site that maps out the barn quilt tours at http://barnquiltinfo.com/map-WI.html for those who are interested. My rhubarb is just starting its growth spurt and will probably be ready to pick in another week. I look forward to it immensely.

Unknown said...

You must live south of us. Oh, that's right, you do. It's still winter up here. The only plant life that has dared to rise above the earth has been dug up by our Raina. Hm, any ideas?

Mary Jo said...

Happy Spring! I love the barn quilt.