Sunday, December 21, 2014

Can't trust those Minnesotans*!

Yesterday after taking our garbage to "the Dump" (waste transfer station), we made our trip down to The Lake to see what we could see.  Last weekend it was foggy and warm, and the days of thawing were really making everything look pretty ugly at the beginning of the week!  But a fresh layer of snow has us looking properly wintry again, and the weather people are promising more snow...on the day one of my daughters is driving up here, of course!

So, looking out on The Lake, we noticed that all the piles of ice were dotted with seagulls.  It looked interesting enough to get me out walking on the pier, and below is a zoomed in shot of some of them.

Hard to see here but there was a whole bunch of them out floating on the lake, too, over to the right.   I was walking VERY carefully up toward the ones at the end of the pier to see how close I could get to take some more pictures before they flew.  And then the Minnesotans* showed up...behind me.  (Their license plate gave them away.)

There was no "walking VERY carefully" with them.  They just stomped up behind me, passed me by, and went right up and all the seagulls flew away!  Here they are mid-flight--the seagulls, not the Minnesotans.  *Full disclosure:  I'm a former Minnesotan for 30+ years, but wow...way to mess up a picture!

So instead here's an update of the ice along the shore.  It's building up into some interesting formations.

Here's a close-up of a mini ice cave from waves washing over.

And I bet you didn't know we had alligators in Port Wing!  Ice-encrusted alligators dripping...something...

We haven't seen much sun lately so we stay content with the knowledge that we are lucky just to live here!

No comments: