Thursday, July 10, 2014

Finally...a clothesline! And what's "Welcome to Sweden" all about?

This will be a two-topic post, but I need to start with our completed clothesline!  You may remember, we had the upright posts for our clothesline installed a couple weeks ago.  Our carpenter took all the remaining parts home so he could drill the holes in the cross pieces that the coated wire would thread through.  And all the parts came together finally today!
We had a complicated assortment of hardware selected for us at the hardware store to connect the coated wire to the posts.  Fortunately, Leann and Dustin who was helping us got it all figured out.  The lines are nice and tight and ready for wet sheets and towels tomorrow...if it doesn't rain!


And the new clothesline was my big event of the day, and then I turned on the TV tonight.  What was on?  A new show..."Welcome to Sweden."  I had heard about it, Amy Poehler has something to do with producing it. But I could only wonder how weird this was going to be.  I think it's based on someone's real experiences going to live in Sweden with his Swedish girlfriend, but you never know what they will do for the sake of getting a laugh.  And now I see that it has already been airing in Sweden.

I wasn't really paying attention to the show because too many other things were going on, and then I looked up and saw them all sitting around a table eating...kräftor! And suddenly it was September, 1979, and I was back in Ludvika, Sweden, visiting my cousins Rutger and Pia, and sitting around their table enjoying kräftor or crayfish Swedish style!  As I remember, it was a seasonal delicacy enjoyed in August and September.
And they were delicious, if not a little messy.  So I'm still not sure how this TV show will be, but I could relate to at least one small part of tonight's show! And I discovered a new Swedish language/culture blog in the process of posting this!

http://www.swedishfood.com/crayfish-parties

No comments: